Sunday, April 26, 2009

FUN WITH CORKS!

A few years ago I worked at a restaurant that served a lot of good wines. I saved the corks, thinking that someday I'd make a cork garland to give to my sister and her husband the winemaker. Years passed and my husband politely inquired from time to time whether the giant box of corks in the garage still had a purpose.

This weekend when I cleaned out the storage shed, out came the box of corks. I realized I would probably never have the time to individually drill out and string every one of these corks. The garland was a nice idea, but a pain in the ass project I'd never actually do.

Later while potting up some stuff and looking around for mulch my eye wandered to the box.

SHABAM! CORK MULCH!

Now my plants are mulched, the cats are deterred from scratching & depositing in the fresh compost, the box of corks is no longer taking up space in the shed and I am reminded of many fine glasses of wine served and sampled.










The old barbecue is another recycling project. I used it for a little potting bench for awhile, then filled it with cannas. When the fall frosts arrive, I just wheel it into the garage for the winter and don't have to dig up the cannas. The cannas are kind of recycled too - given to us by two neighbors who had cannas to spare. (Cannas are like irises. Once you have either, you have plenty to spare.)











































Corks are still good for forks, too.











No comments: