Saturday, June 26, 2010

Garden Glimpses and Features on a June Day

I thought I might share a few details or aspects of the yard and garden that seemed enchanting to me on a late June day, this having been an unusual year for both cool and rainfall. What caught my attention first, and sent me scurrying for the camera, were the unusual clouds in the afternoon sky which were so moisture laden they were acting as prisms for the sunlight and the rainbow hues were in each cloud. I don't know that my pictures capture it as dramatically as it appeared to my eyes, but I tried. From there I just got carried away with enjoying the beauty (stopping to smell the roses, perhaps?).  The first 8 photos are of various flowers here and there - Bishop's cap mixed with columbines, purple salvia and salmon poppies with a butterfly (they were dancing all over the salvia that day), my birthday primrose which is blooming for the THIRD time since it was given to me on my birthday in February, a cheerful pot of violas, lovely peas blossoms in two colors, and a ruby cabbage set among the peas.

After that I just strolled around the paths among the perennial beds, trying to capture the beds and paths as well as individual beauties.

Then below the garden my eye caught the curve of the olive trees that I deliberately let arch low for magical paths to invite the exploration of children.

I took a few of the garden areas - the cool garden, maturing nicely; the path through the raspberries; the path from the asparagus bed, past the greenhouse and along the herb garden, as well as the view back the other direction.




If you look closely you will see the slight bit of prismatic color in the clouds.  Of course, the stone path to the house and the sitting area in the shade.  Last of all my never-ending cylamen blooms that are enjoying a shady spot outdoors this year.  Hope you enjoyed your visit!

No comments: