Friday, June 26, 2009

Strawberry Freezer Jam with Lavender and Honey (FBF)

Today these strawberries



became this freezer jam



It is my new favorite recipe for freezer jam. It takes far less sugar and the flavor is divine to my palate.

Basic ingredients:

* 4 cups strawberries, chopped or mashed
* 1/2 cup honey
* 1/2 cup sugar
* A sprig or two of fresh lavender snipped into tiny pieces or 5 oz. dried lavender**
* 1 packet jam pectin (such as Sure Jell)

** Rehydrate lavender by adding a small amount of water to the lavender in a bowl. Stir and let sit while preparing other ingredients. Drain before adding.

1. In a large bowl, crush the strawberries to the consistency you prefer (I like mine fairly chunky). I use a potato masher.

2. In a small bowl, mix pectin and sugar together until incorporated. Add to mashed strawberries. Add honey. Stir for a few minutes. Add lavender and lightly stir.

4. Ladle into clean jars, leaving 1/2" space at the top for expansion in freezer. Cap and let sit for 30 minutes or more. Store in your freezer until ready to use.

I found I liked a rather generous amount of lavender in mine (I have made four batches so far, tweaking each).

Next I might try orange zest in lieu of lavender. Hmmm....

No comments: