Monday, July 13, 2009

Blossoms, Stigmas, Ripening Fruit & O'Keeffe in HMB

This is Jen with an update from the raised box garden in Half Moon Bay. As you can see below, it certainly has grown a fair amount in the past month. During that time, I've learned that the weather conditions in HMB are such that watering is something that really only needs to be done once a week. Unfortunately, a couple of tomatoes, peppers, beans, and peas had to be sacrificed in the name of learning, but I am replacing them and figure that $10 or so is an acceptable price to pay for that lesson.

The other thing is that I don't think the soil needs all the additives and boosts that have been recommended in the books I've read. I followed the advice in Great Garden Companions for planting peppers with matches and compost, and don't think that helped the peppers -- the Giant Orange's leaves actually went pretty yellow right away. I think it was signaling it just didn't need that much food. When I spoke to the guys at the HMB nursery about what they use to feed their tomatoes and peppers, he said "dirt, sunshine, and a little water".

As Missy and Mom have said, gardening is a blend of sweat, science, luck, and learning, so I guess I'm on the learning part. And now - the pictures:

The whole garden

Wildflowers & Cucumbers
Cucumbers - the water leaves are turning a yellow and part of them has disappeared
not sure why

Happy, Leggy Cilantro (will harvest some today)

Watermelon with really happy Nasturtiums
Bird Bath & Nasturtiums
Poor Prudens Purple. It just isn't that happy, and will be replaced today. In front is where I pulled out the Giant Orange pepper that didn't make it. The good news is that I was successful in starting peppers from seed, so I've planted a replacement that I hope has better success.

Basil seems to be doing well so far
Another said tomato tale -- the Moskovic has one lone tomato on it, which I will allow to ripen, but I don't think it is going to produce anything else, so will be replaced.
The new Amish Paste tomato is on the left and the Stupice on the right seems to be the only survivor of the early batch of tomatoes.
The ripening fruit on the Stupice.
A new crop of peas - a 2nd attempt after overwatering.
The zucchini, however, is obviously trying to boost my ego, as it is positively thriving.
Here's the zucchini's first blossom.
And the butterstick squash is also happy to show me how it feels about my gardening.
The squash's first blossom -- look at that stigma!
2nd attempt at beans.
Superhappy Nasties!
Garlic with my tallest sunflower so far.
Carrots, Onions & Beets





My spinach is doing something weird -- see the funny head below? I'm checking with Mom on this one, as I don't get why it is going black/brown. The leaves themselves are crisp and nice-tasting, so I hope this is something I can fix.
The first nasturtium blossom.
My dill that I grew from seed! It is really yummy, and I got to use it for crab cakes over the weekend -- did so with pride!
And now for some fruit!
Blueberry
Meyer's LemonsGrapes


Okay, and because I can't resist how pretty they look, the rest of this posting is dedicated to Georgia O'Keeffe with a big thanks to Leon, who is a very good gardener himself, particularly with roses.








2 comments:

mother falcon said...

I'm wondering if your beds just don't get enough hours of direct sunlight per day to support a sun-lover like tomatoes. That combined with the bouts of cool, damp weather. But I could NEVER grow blueberries like you can, or nasturtiums, so I guess it's a matter of finding out which plants thrive in your climate/location and sticking with them. Seems like that applies to 95% of your plants.

mother falcon said...

I also can't grow callas, lemons or hydrangeas like yours.

Maybe you should try a tomato in a pot out by your driveway and see if the increased sunlight exposure makes a difference.